9/27/16

Fellowship > Residency

We are almost 2 months into Stuart's career as a fellow physician, and it is already SO MUCH better than residency!  Last week, the boys were just finishing up dinner when I got a text from Stuart.  Expecting him to say that he was headed home, I was sorely disappointed when he said something came up so he would be at the hospital for a while.  I was so irritated!  That has never really been my reaction to that sort of text (which was very frequent during the 4 years of residency), but I realized it was the first time he had texted that in the past two months as a fellow, and so I had gotten so spoiled by him being home in the evenings like a normal person!  My attitude quickly changed and I realized how thankful I was for this new change of pace.




He is still working far more hours than an average full-time job, but compared to residency, it is just so lovely!  There have only been a handful of evenings that he has not been home in time for bedtime, whereas in residency he was more often than not home much later than the boys' bedtime.  And weekends!  One weekend a month, he has to go to the hospital each morning to round, but then he gets to come HOME!  He is still on call from home for the rest of that day (and night), but it means we can do normal weekend things together every single weekend (farmer's market! church!) as long as he doesn't leave Chapel Hill/Durham.





It does seem that there is far more work at home as a fellow than there was as a resident, but that just makes me look forward to the days that he is finished with training and has more control as an attending over his own schedule and research projects. But for now, yay fellowship!  The boys and I are very happy to spend more time with dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment