5/17/13

slumber party

James typically goes to bed around 7pm every night, at which point Stuart and I make dinner, eat together and clean up.  By 8pm, we're often looking at each other, yawning, and deciding it's quite time for bed ourselves (does the exhaustion ever go away?).  This means two things:

1. Nothing ever gets done around the house:  Laundry piles up for days.  The yard goes weeks without being mowed.  Thank you notes are left unwritten.  You know, all the things that tiny babies don't like for you to do before they go to bed.

2. The hubs and I spend z.e.r.o quality time together.  This is complicated by his work schedule, of course, which takes up give-or-take 80 hours of his week, often over 6, if not 7, days of the week.

A few weeks ago, my dear mother asked when James was going to come spend the night at her house. This was something that Stuart and I had talked about, but weren't sure when would be a good or appropriate time to let someone else take care of James overnight (although he is sleeping through the night without feedings at this point - typically 7pm to 6am or so).  Then, Stuart learned that he would have this entire weekend off (a very rare occurrence!) - so James could go spend one night away, we could have some quality time together and take care of some things around the house, and he would still have lots of time to spend with James the next day.

So, tonight is the night!  And the daddy of the house is thrilled!  But, this mama feels guilty.  Is it too soon?  Will he miss me?  I will miss him!  I know my mother is completely capable, and even knows James' routines quite well (she cares for him on the days that I work a 12-hour shift as a nurse).  I know there are some mamas that wouldn't think twice about leaving their baby overnight, and other mamas that wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary.  I'm not sure where I fall, but I know that I am thrilled and excited, though feeling a bit anxious, sad and guilty.

After talking to my hubs, I realized that this is our family - Team Pierce - and we get to decide what is good, not only for our son, but for our marriage, and we need this.  It will be so very good for James to spend time with his grandparents and be comfortable in their home (I am only sad that both sides of our family aren't close enough to spend lots of time with him!).  And it will be so very good for Stuart and I to have time to remember what it's like to focus on each other and the Lord (these are our first priorities anyways, and so easily lost when a tiny babe needs you all the time).

So, James is headed to his first slumber party tonight at the Acrees' in Zebulon... staying up all night playing video games and eating cheetos (or whatever little boys do at slumber parties) with Mammaw and P/PAW (yes, that really is what we call my dad and that's exactly how he wants it spelled!).


(P.S. Don't judge - he rolls to his belly on his own every time we lay him down!)

No comments:

Post a Comment