2/24/16

1st Dentist Visit

I finally took the boys to the dentist!  I have been meaning to take James since his 2nd birthday... so, I am a little early for Samuel, but we were going anyway, so they both got little dental check ups!  This particular dentist came highly recommended, but I still had very low expectations for the visit.  Boy, was I delightfully surprised!  It was fun... James even said so. :)  We saw Dr. John and a handful of hygienists, and everyone was super great.






James did great and sat in the chair like a big boy!  The professionals said his teeth are in great shape.  Zero plaque, which is evidence of good brushing technique (go figure -- I am constantly paranoid that his mouth is full of cavities).  But his teeth are pretty tight, so we have orders to floss, floss, floss (which we have been trying to do, but James is often hesitant to let anyone else do it besides himself...).  The dentist also said to not worry at all about the thumb-sucking for now -- most kids stop on their own by age 4, and it isn't a real concern until adult teeth start coming in around age 6.  He said the best thing to do is absolutely ignore it, because if they get attention for sucking their thumbs (even negative attention), they tend to persist for much longer.



I didn't get any photos of little Sam because we did a knee-to-knee exam with Dr. John (so my hands were full during his exam!), but he did pretty great after the initial shock of someone sticking their fingers in his mouth.  No one cried or got bitten.  Win for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment