6/19/13

James' Baptism 6/16/13

Baptism is confusing to me.  I don't think scripture is 100% clear regarding the method (or even the meaning) of it, and I know it has caused lots of debate historically in the church.  Stuart was raised (and baptized) Methodist, while I was raised (and baptized) in the Baptist tradition, so we obviously come from different backgrounds regarding baptism.  Through prayer and reading, I have come to one conclusion about baptism:  believers are commanded to do it.  That's enough for me, even if I don't understand how or why to the full extent.

Under the guidance of our pastors, we chose to have James baptized as an infant, symbolizing our commitment of James under God's sovereignty and authority, trusting that He works His covenant out with His people through believing families.  We pray for James to one day know Christ, and meanwhile we can only choose to entrust him to The Lord no matter what.  (For those Baptists reading, this is similar to "baby dedication" in the Baptist tradition.)




No comments:

Post a Comment