8/6/14

James meets the Durham police

This morning James and I were in my room getting ready to go out to the playground.  I was washing my face when I heard this terrible, high-pitched noise.  I quickly rinsed my eyes so I could try to figure out what was going on, then I look over and see that James has found the little remote for our security system that we keep by our bed.  Apparently, the remote has an automatic alarm "panic" button, and James found it!  I quickly turned it off (what a terrible noise!).  I texted Stuart to let him know that James set off the alarm and we were okay, just in case our security company called him.  I didn't hear anything from him or the security company in the next few minutes, so I forgot about it.


We headed downstairs and started to get everything together and head out the door when James decides to throw a temper tantrum over his shoes.  I wrestle him to the couch so we could talk it over and put his shoes on.  In the midst of this, I just happen to look up out of our front window and see a police officer standing between the boxwoods in our front bed peering in!  I was very confused, so I just smiled and waved :)  He waved back and pointed toward the front door.  So, I leave James fussing on the couch and open the door.  He says, "We had a call from your security company - everything ok?"  I explained that James had pushed the button, but I didn't hear anything from the company, and that everything was just fine.  He said "I also noticed a disturbance inside - is everything okay with that?"  I was mortified - what kind of mother did this police officer think I was?? Thankfully, James walked to the door at that moment and acted terrified of the big man in the dark suit with all the scary tools around his waist.

The officer called his partner to the front door (who happened to be searching around in our backyard with his night stick out!) and then kneeled down and opened his badge to reveal a stack of "junior officer" stickers.  James thanked them with a kiss and was officially inducted into the force, then we sent the officers on their way, apologizing profusely for wasting their time!  Hopefully James' cute face made it worth their while.  At least now we know our alarm works and the police truly are called if we ever did need them!

1 comment: